The main village of Ixworth is just a 5 minute walk and has two pubs, a traditional butcher, who closes at 12 o'clock on Saturdays, a restaurant, cafe, fish and chips, and a general store. The Pykkerell and The Greyhound are family pubs. Theobald's Restaurant, at the end of the road, provides fine cuisine.
Wyken Vineyard , 3 miles away, has a farmer's market (Saturday mornings) gift shop, cafe and restaurant.
Thetford Forest is only a few miles away and has very large areas of woodland and open country side to explore.
Bury St Edmunds 9 miles away, is a thriving market town with historic centre and Abbey Ruins. There are markets on Saturdays and Wednesdays in the Butter Market and Cornhill. We suggest parking in Angel Hill and walking up Abbeygate Street. We also recommend Maison Bleue Restaurant.
Travelling a little further afield we have:
Lavenham 19 miles, and Long Melford 21 miles are historic market towns with antique shops and art galleries. Flatford Mill and Dedham, home of John Constable, are only 30 miles away. Newmarket is 23 miles away, Cambridge 36 miles, London 89 miles, the Suffolk coast with Southwold 42 miles and Aldeburgh 40 miles, the North Norfolk coast with Holt, Holkham and Burnham Market 54 miles.
For more information on Suffolk, also see the
Suffolk Tourist Guide
If you are looking for luxury holiday homes in the Yorkshire Dales see Dales lettings
- Theobalds Restaurant
- The Greyhound Pub
- The Leaping Hare
- La Maison Bleue
- The Crown at Bildeston
- The Swan at Lavenham
- The Great House at Lavenham
- The Fox and Goose in Fressingfield
- Pea Porridge in Bury St Edmunds
- Wyken Vineyard Farmer’s Market
- Hillcrest Farm Shop in Stanton
- Rolfe’s in Walsham le Willows
- Bury St Edmunds Market
- The village butcher
- Waitrose Bury St Edmunds
- Garden produce, when in season, including fishing for fresh crayfish
- Langham Herbs
- Wattisfield Wines in Walsham le Willows
- Wooster’s Bakery -Traditional & artisan bread, cakes & pastries
If you would like some catering done during your stay please mention this in your booking request and we will be happy to give you our recommendation.
In Need Of Adventure?
- Go Ape in Thetford Forest. Have you tried it? Zip wires and tree walks. I found it more exciting than I anticipated!
- There are riding stables very close ( 1.6 miles to be exact) offering lessons and hac king
- An airfield at Old Buckenham (16 miles) for fun flights and flying lessons, including vintage aircraft, or to fly in and park
- Parachuting and skydiving at Beccles (35 miles)
- Hot air ballooning locally with Wizard Balloons
- Shooting and off road driving at Kennett and shooting at Lakenheath (both 18 miles)